Ok, I ain’t gonna lie. This posting every day thing is harder than I thought it would be…and I thought it would be hard. Today I resorted to looking for prompts online. Don’t judge me.
I generally hate prompts that ask you to write about your favorite anything. Art, music, movies, food, books…I mean, really. Who can choose a favorite? I certainly can’t. But 10…I can do 10.
I realized as I was choosing these songs, that the process became less about my favorites and more about the music that tells the story of my life. Each of them take me to a different time and place and some of them represent people.
So, without further ado, the 10 songs I’ll listen to for the rest of my life:
1. You Are My Sunshine – one of the first songs I learned as a child, and I still love it.
2. Amazing Grace – this one speaks for itself. spiritual.
3. Black Dog (Led Zeppelin) – skipping school and spending the day by the pool at my friend Kelly’s dad’s house. Good times.
4. One (or any other U2 song) – see? I can’t even pick a favorite U2 song. This one takes me back to high school.
5. Good Morning Heartache (Billie Holiday) – I was a weird teenager, listening to 1940s jazz tunes.
6. Silent All These Years (Tori Amos) – ah, the college years. the angry, man-hating college years.
7. C’mon on Eileen (Dexy’s Midnight Runners) – fun!
8. Je t’aimais, je t’aime et je t’aimerai (Francis Cabrel) – even if you don’t understand French, this is a beautiful song. I never tire of it.
9. Broken (Jack Johnson) – my love.
10. Sweet Baby James (James Taylor) – this is Evelyn’s lullaby. We have been singing it to her since she was a few days old. Also, anything James Taylor reminds me of my mom.
Wow, that was harder than I thought it would be! Ask me again tomorrow and you might get a different list. Can you name 10?